Southlands Official Community Plan Amendment and Rezoning Application
Metro Vancouver staff have begun processing the Regional Growth Strategy amendment request for the Southlands application. Visit Metro Vancouver's website to view the process and draft timeline for consideration of the Southlands application.
At the January 13, 2013 Regular Meeting, Council considered a staff report regarding the Southlands application, endorsed a letter to Metro Vancouver pertaining to the Southlands development, and directed that the letter along with the supporting materials be forwarded to Metro Vancouver to initiate Delta's request for amendments to the Regional Growth Strategy. The letter will be signed by Mayor Lois E. Jackson and immediately forwarded to Metro Vancouver as well as each Metro Vancouver Director. Staff will provide updates to Council and on Delta's website as the Southlands application moves through the Metro Vancouver process.
The Public Hearing for the Southlands application resumed on Friday, November 8, 2013 at
9:00 am. Council received a memorandum from staff that provided in overview of the Public Hearing. Council also received additional written submissions that were submitted before 12:00 noon on November 7, 2013. Following a question and answer session with staff, the Public Hearing was terminated.
At the Special Meeting on November 8, 2013, Council gave Third Reading to Official Community Plan Amendment (Regional Context Statement Amendment) Bylaw No. 7167, Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 7168, Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 7169, Development Application Procedures Amendment Bylaw No. 7170 and Phased Development Agreement Bylaw No. 7271. Council also passed a resolution that the Metro Vancouver Board be requested to amend "Greater Vancouver Regional Growth Strategy Bylaw Number 1136, 2010" by:
- Changing the regional land use designation of approximately 27 percent of the site, as shown in Attachment F, from Agricultural to General Urban, and adding these lands to the Urban Containment Boundary;
- Changing the regional land use designation of approximately 19 percent of the site, as shown in Attachment F, from Agricultural to Conservation and Recreation; and
- Amending the Regional Growth Strategy Maps as necessary to reflect the required amendments listed above.
Council passed an additional resolution that, subject to approval of the Regional Growth Strategy amendments, the Metro Vancouver Board be requested to approve the amendments to Delta's Regional Context Statement, as reflected in the Official Community Plan Amendment (Regional Context Statement Amendment) Bylaw No. 7167.
The Southlands application has now been referred to Metro Vancouver to consider the amendments noted above. Phased Development Agreement Bylaw No. 7271 has also been referred to the Inspector of Municipalities for approval.
Please note that Council may not receive further submissions from the public or interested persons concerning the project after the Public Hearing has concluded.
[ back to top ]
October 7, 2013 Regular Meeting
At the October 7, 2013 Regular Meeting, Council considered a staff report regarding the Southlands application and:
- Gave first and second readings to Phased Development Agreement Bylaw No. 7271 and made minor amendments to Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 7169. Both bylaws were referred to the upcoming Public Hearing along with the other bylaws and permits pertaining to this project; and
- Council also added October 30 to the Public Hearing and set the Public Hearing start time for 3:00 pm for October 28, 29 and 30; and
- The staff report considered by Council also included additional information on several items pertaining to the application.
July 29, 2013 Regular Meeting
At the July 29, 2013 Regular Meeting, Council considered a staff report on the Southlands application and:
- Gave first and second readings to Official Community Plan amendment bylaws, a Zoning amendment bylaw and a Development Application Procedures amendment bylaw; and
- Referred this application to a Public Hearing.
|Location||217.1 ha (536 ac) Southlands site|
- Southlands Development Proposed Application Process Chart (updated May 7, 2013)
This application involves a request to amend the Official Community Plan for the Southlands properties to permit a comprehensive development that would include agricultural uses, natural habitat, public open space and greenways on 80 percent of the land and residential, commercial and institutional uses on 20 percent of the land.
The applicant revised the rezoning application on September 21, 2012 by adding the remaining phases of the development to the application. The rezoning application involves a proposal to create a total of 950 residential units in various forms and densities, including cottage style homes, cluster houses, fee simple row-houses, townhomes, country flats, live work units and condominiums. Approximately 7,432 m2 (80,000 ft2) of ground oriented commercial space is also proposed, which would be concentrated primarily along High Street and the Market Square.
Details on the rezoning application can be obtained by reviewing the copy of the application provided in the Reports and Related Documents section below.
- The Corporation of Delta - May 30, 2013
On May 30, 2013, The Corporation of Delta hosted a Public Information Meeting for this application at the South Delta Recreation Centre. A list of the following items relating to the Public Information Meeting are provided below:
- The Corporation of Delta - October 25, 2012
On October 25, The Corporation of Delta hosted a Public Information Meeting for this application at the South Delta Recreation Centre. A list of the following items relating to the Public Information Meeting are provided below:
- Century Group
Century Group hosted two public information meetings for the Southlands Official Community Plan amendment and rezoning application on May 12 & 15, 2012.
[ back to top ]
[ back to top ]
|Deputy Director of Community Planning & Development||Marcy Sangret
(604) 946-3219 Tel
|Senior Planner||Mike Ruskowski
(604) 946-3382 Tel
(604) 946-4148 Fax
|Applicant||Patrick Cotter Architect Inc. for Century Industries Ltd.
(604) 272-1477 Tel
(604) 272-1471 Fax
[ back to top ]